Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hook, Line and Sinker

This is one of those times where I know for sure I'm where I'm supposed to be, doing what I'm meant to do, and I know that I'm going to be ok.  I'm happy.  I'm not as happy as I was 20 and a half months ago, but I'm happy.  Larry and Aidan are in bed, sound asleep.  They look so much alike, even in sleep, there's no doubt that Aidan's a little mini Larry.  My whole world is wrapped up in there in our bedroom.  Yes, Aidan sleeps with us.  Someday he'll be big and not want to.  Until that day comes, he's welcome to co-sleep. 

I want to take this stolen bit of quiet time and tell about meeting Larry, and how perfect it's been, from the beginning til now.   I mentioned how we "met", on Myspace.  Our first face-to-face, was one of those "wow, is this real" kind of moments. He had worked the 3-11 shift, and this was after he got off work on a Saturday night.  It was late, but I was working all sorts of mandatory overtime, and that night and the next were my only 2 nights off for a while. 

I walked in, he met me at the door, and introduced himself to me.  We got a table, and sat and talked.  Within the first ten minutes, we had each shared that we had a brother and sister-in-law.  Both of our sisters-in-law  were expecting the first grandchild.  Too weird. We talked about wanting kids, both of us had a strong, burning desire to be a parent.  We talked about work, and life, and everything and nothing.  It was the first time I can ever remember being in a crowded place and not noticing anything going on around me, because I was totally focused on the person I was with.  It was fantastic.  I left feeling like I had known him my entire life. 

From that moment on, we were together for at least a few minutes, of every day.  I was working 12 hour night shifts, he works swing shift.  So, for the string of overtime nights I was working, Larry would get up early and meet me for breakfast.   The first day/night we had off together, he cooked me a steak dinner.  I can't remember how long we had been seeing each other, when we were sitting on the couch and he asked if he could kiss me. Nobody had ever asked before.  Wow!!  He's just a good guy. 

We knew fairly early into our relationship that we wanted to get married.  My family was, and is, crazy over him.  My brother treats him like he's his very own brother.  Larry was at the hospital when our nephew was born.  He saw him within the first half hour or so of his life.  Stuff like that's important to me. 

Larry is so good. I wish I could find words to tell just how good he is.  Yeah, he gets moody when he's worked too much, he doesn't always listen to exactly what I've said (he hears half of it, fills in the blankfor the other half)  but,  he's still an all-around great man. 

Several months into our relationship, I started feeling whoopsy around 3 a.m.  (working night shift)  Several nights in a row.  Pregnancy was the furthest thing from my  mind, as I thought I was infertile.  Well... on a whim, on my way home the morning of Sept. 21, 2007, I stopped and bought a 3 pack of pregnancy tests.  I went home and took one, and it was positive.  But, the directions said to take it with first morning urine, which for me would have been first afternoon pee.  So, I didn't hold out too much hope.  When I woke up later that day, I took another one.  Holy cow!  It was positive. I was pregnant.  For real?  But, we weren't married yet.  What would people think/say? 

We decided that we wouldn't run right out and tie the knot, and give people something to gossip about.  We decided to wait til later in the pregancy, so there would be no reason to gossip.  There's no need to do the  math when a full-term baby is born a month after a wedding.  Ok, there's another reason we waited so long. I wanted a spring wedding.  We got married April 26, 2008.  One of the best, happiest days of my life.

I've never regretted it, never looked back.  I'm Larry's wife, that's who I'm meant to be.  The man still has me, hook, line and sinker. 


Our small little wedding.
My brother was my maid
of honor!!

No comments:

Post a Comment