Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Five Christmases Ago

I want to tell about the last five Christmases, starting with Christmas of 2006.  I am going to make each a separate post, but may post one or two on the same day.  Or maybe not, it just depends on how much typing time I have.

Five Christmases ago, I was 29, soon to be 30..going on 22, I think. I was all about having a good time.  I had a somewhat steady boyfriend.  He was nice, but odd, and I knew he wasn't the one for me. I won't say a whole lot more about him other than that.  I knew it wasn't going to work out, but he was a good companion.

I wanted a husband and kids so badly.  Every shooting star, every birthday candle, every 11:11 on the clock, I had the same wish. 

My brother and sister in law had JUST found out they were expecting my nephew, and my very close first cousin was due in February with her little boy.  I am the oldest grandchild, but all the younger ones were having babies, starting families, and I was stuck in a dead end relationship. 

Between the time my Sister in law found out she was pregnant and Christmas Eve, I got busy and crocheted a white afghan for my soon to be nephew. (Of course we didn't know he was a nephew then, thus the white afghan!)  I was happy for them, but so sad for myself. And jealous. 

I bought a baby ornament to hang on my mom's tree, to honor the baby-yet-to-come.  I wanted so badly to hang one to commemorate a child of my own.  It was a happy time, but a sad time, too.

I will be honest.  I was green with envy. 

We had our traditional Christmas Eve dinner and gifts at my mom's (where I was living at the time).  My ex boyfriend came to eat with us.  He went home, my brother and sister in law went home, and I went to bed sad, but prayed for something to be different by the next Christmas.

Things started changing.  By Valentine's day, I was through with the boyfriend, but hadn't' told him yet.  By Easter, it was completely done.  By June I had met Larry, and, well, by September, there was a little baby boy growing in my tummy.

That's the end of the story of Five Christmases ago.

1 comment:

  1. So neat how things can turn around...so glad that you found someone that is worthy to start a family with!! And now you have 4 beautiful children :)

    ReplyDelete